The benefits and harms of viburnum seeds for health
The use of red viburnum berries in cooking and medicine is a well-known fact, and fruit seeds are usually thrown away without hesitation. But the beneficial substances due to which the berries have healing properties are also found in the seed kernels, which can and should be used as a natural environmentally friendly remedy for the treatment of various ailments.
Viburnum seeds - useful properties
Shrub fruit seeds contain up to 20% oils, which include a unique complex of higher fatty acids:
- myristic acid - a natural immunostimulant, has bactericidal properties and inhibits the development of pathogenic microorganisms in the intestine;
- palmitic acid - promotes the synthesis of collagen and hyaluronic acid, stimulating the renewal and regeneration of the skin;
- stearic acid - one of the main stored sources of energy of the human body and an indispensable component of creams and ointments, increasing their shelf life;
- oleic acid - effectively protects against radiation and prevents the development of cancer;
- linoleic acid - prevents the occurrence of atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular diseases.
Did you know? Viburnum is the only plant in the world that has a bone in the form of a heart.
A diverse vitamin composition of plant seeds includes:
- vitamins B3 and B9lowering the level of bad cholesterol;
- beta caroteneVitamin A precursor, a powerful antioxidant responsible for healthy skin and eyes;
- vitamin knecessary for protein synthesis, assimilation of calcium, vitamin D and ensuring a normal level of blood coagulation;
- vitamin e - a powerful antioxidant that protects cells from damage by free radicals, an indispensable source of nutrition for the skin, hair and nails, as well as a vital component for ensuring the functioning of the reproductive system.
Among the most important minerals needed by the body, viburnum contains:
- magnesiumhelping with heart problems and heartburn;
- iron for the formation of hemoglobin;
- selenium for normal thyroid function;
- molybdenumsupporting dental health and preventing gout;
- copper, reducing the risk of infectious diseases and osteoporosis.
Harm and contraindications
The seeds of red viburnum are a potent remedy, especially if you eat whole berries. In certain cases, their intake is undesirable and can harm the body.
- The use of berries is contraindicated:
- with increased acidity of the stomach and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- with increased blood coagulability;
- with hypotension;
- during pregnancy.
Deterioration of well-being is also observed with individual intolerance to all parts of the plant.
Important! Viburnum fruits contain substances that can cause the uterus to become hypertonic and increase the risk of miscarriage.
How to collect and store
The maximum saturation of the fruit with useful substances occurs after the first frost. Berries are harvested in October - November, cutting them with brushes. Depending on the desired method of application, viburnum can be frozen, dried whole directly on the hands, or the bones can be separated from the pulp and dried separately. Drying is carried out in a dry, well-ventilated area on sheets of paper or on cloth, laying out the bones in one layer.
For further storage, paper bags are used in which the seeds retain useful properties throughout the year.
Fields of application
Viburnum bones are used for colds, hypertension, constipation, neurosis, anemia and seizures. Decoctions and infusions are used to treat tuberculosis, liver and kidney diseases, with excessive sweating, to improve metabolism and normalize the intestines.
Did you know? In ancient times, viburnum was a mandatory element of wedding paraphernalia, which decorated tables, loaves, clothes and a red corner of the hut to protect against evil spirits.
Various nourishing and cleansing masks improve skin condition, and roasted, ground and steamed seeds successfully replace coffee as a light tonic. Viburnum seed oil promotes wound healing and is used in the fight against various irritations, inflammations, rashes and boils.
For colds of the upper respiratory tract, pneumonia and flu, take an infusion of seeds with honey.
The following ingredients are taken:
- bones of viburnum - 10 g;
- honey - 5 g;
- water - 200 ml.
To prepare the drink, crush the seeds, pour boiling water over it and insist for half an hour. Then everything needs to be filtered and add honey. Take the drug 3 times a day for 20-30 ml.
To increase the body's defenses and improve the general condition during vitamin deficiency, reduce edema, use an infusion of the following components:
- bones of viburnum - 10 g;
- rose hips - 5 g;
- fruits of hawthorn - 5 g;
- water - 500 ml.
To prepare the ingredients, grind, pour boiling water and let it brew for 30 minutes. A filtered drink is consumed 3-4 times a day, 50-100 ml each.
Stabilize the intestines, the genitourinary system and get rid of sand in the kidneys and gall bladder using viburnum seeds, which are chewed in 10 pieces. per day at regular intervals.
To reduce pressure with hypertension and strengthen the cardiovascular system, a tool is used, for the preparation of which they take:
- fresh or frozen berries - 500 g;
- honey - 500 g;
- cognac - 500 ml.
Means take 1 tbsp. l 3-4 times a day.
These recipes can be varied by adding to the infusions of other herbs, berries or spices to taste. In this case, it is necessary to adhere to the norm of consumption of viburnum and not exceed the dosage.
Important! Excessive intake of viburnum can cause digestive upsets and a rash on the body.
Application in cosmetology
For the treatment of wounds, eczema and boils on the skin, applications with infusion of seeds of the described shrub are recommended.
- bones of viburnum - 10 g;
- water - 200 ml.
To prepare the infusion, the bones need to be crushed, pour boiling water over it, insist for 30 minutes and strain.
A variety of nourishing face masks prepared using the seeds of the plant improve the condition of the skin, contribute to its regeneration and smoothing of wrinkles. The composition of the mask is selected according to the type of skin.
A universal basis can be a mixture of the following components:
- egg yolk - 1 pc;
- milk - 1 tbsp. l .;
- oat flour - 2 tbsp. l
Did you know? Breeders bred varieties of viburnum, the fruits of which almost do not contain bitterness. Due to the high content of sugars, they can be eaten directly from the bush, without waiting for frosts.
Another common option:
- cottage cheese - 1 tbsp. l .;
- honey - 1 tbsp. l
To prepare the mask, it is necessary to steam 1 hour of crushed viburnum seeds in 1/2 cup of boiling water. The cooled strained infusion is mixed with the rest of the ingredients and applied to the cleansed face and neck for 15–20 minutes. The procedure is carried out 2-3 times a week. At home, a cleansing scrub for the face and body is easily prepared. To do this, powdered seeds of viburnum are mixed with any liquid soap.
The healing properties of viburnum red are vast and varied. But you should not independently replace the intake of medications with uncontrolled use of the plant.If you want to supplement the therapy with a natural medicine, you need to consult your doctor and jointly consider suitable options.