The benefits and harms of cranberries for women
Despite the impressive market assortment of overseas and domestic berries, the familiar cranberry does not lose its popularity and demand among buyers. However, many people buy these fruits just for fun: I want to try, because cranberries have long been known for their healing qualities. More information about this berry and its characteristics is described later in the article.
Cranberries - useful properties of berries
Burgundy red cranberry berries attract attention not only for their bright appearance and sweet and sour taste. The greatest value of these fruits is their beneficial properties.
So, the regular use of the fruits of culture:
- Reduces serum cholesterol levels.
- Strengthens blood vessels and their walls.
- Prevents and prevents the formation of atherosclerotic cells and plaques on arterial and capillary walls.
- Normalizes the physical and psycho-emotional state.
- It contributes to the neutralization of inflammation and the destruction of infections - it has an antibacterial effect, has antiseptic properties.
- Effectively helps to reduce severe dysuric symptoms (pain during urination, frequent urination).
- It normalizes metabolic processes in the body due to the elimination of toxins and toxins.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- It overcomes the symptoms of flu and colds, because it not only destroys viruses and bacteria, but also has the property of lowering the temperature.
- Increases immunity by eliminating vitamin deficiency, gives vitality and adds vitality.
- It is used as a prophylactic against malignancies of a malignant and benign nature.
- Improves memory and helps to focus.
- It has analgesic properties: it is used as a medicine for headaches and menstrual pain in women.
- Strengthens hair and nails.
- Improves the appearance and condition of the skin, helps to cleanse it.
- Due to the flavonoids contained in its composition, it has beneficial effects on men's health: it helps to activate male potency, helps to overcome prostatitis.
- It positively affects the digestive system: prevents the formation of ulcers, gastritis and colitis, is used in the treatment of pancreatitis.
- Helps to eliminate inflammation in the oral cavity, problems with gums, symptoms of periodontal disease and stomatitis, and prevents the development of caries.
- Stimulates the production of insulin. The berries contain a large amount of fructose and virtually no sucrose.
Chemical composition, nutritional value
Cranberries are rightly considered a diet berry, because it contains only 28 kcal / 100 g.
The nutritional value of these berries is determined by such components:
- proteins: 0.5 g;
- fats: 0.2 g;
- carbohydrates: 3.7 g.
The chemical composition of the fruits contains the following substances:
- water: 89 g;
- ash: 0.3 g;
- organic acids: 3.1 g;
- vitamin-mineral components (transcripts see below).
As mentioned above, 100 g of cranberry berries contains 3.7 g of carbohydrates. There is also 3.3 g of fiber. Carbohydrates, in turn, are composed of glucose (2.5 g), fructose (1.1 g) and sucrose (0.2 g).
Important! Dried cranberry berries have a calorie content of 308 kcal.
Cranberry berries contain a number of vitamins necessary for the body:
- tocopherol (E): 1 mg;
- thiamine (B1): 0.02 mg;
- riboflavin (B2): 0.02 mg;
- pyridoxine (B6): 0.08 mg;
- folates (B9): 1 mcg;
- niacin (PP): 0.05 mg;
- biotin (H): 100 mcg;
- phylloquinone (K): 5 mcg.
- ascorbic acid (C): 15 mg.
The composition of the fruits also has a large stock of minerals (macro- and microelements):
|calcium: 14 mg;||magnesium: 15 mg;|
|sodium: 1 mg;||potassium: 119 mg;|
|phosphorus: 11 mg;||iron: 0.7 mg;|
|zinc: 0.1 mg;||silicon: 1.5 mg;|
|chlorine: 6.7 mg;||aluminum: 48 mcg;|
|boron: 120 mcg;||vanadium: ~ 6 mcg;|
|cobalt: 1.45 mcg;||copper: 61 mcg;|
|rubidium: 44 mcg;||strontium: ~ 26 mcg;|
|fluoride: 10 mcg;||zirconium: ~ 0.2 mcg;|
|nickel: 17 mcg;||lithium: 3.5 mcg and others.|
In addition to the above, cranberries contain 0.11 g of saturated fatty acids and 0.055 g of polyunsaturated (0.022 g of Omega-3 and 0.033 g of Omega-6, respectively). Also, the fruits are rich in acids (citric, malic, quinic, benzoic, ursolic, chlorogenic, oleanolic, succinic and oxalic), the total amount of which is 3.1 g per 100 g of product.
Specific plant compounds
Bioflavonoids should be attributed to specific plant compounds contained in cranberries.: these are flavonols (349 mg), anthocyanins (1059 mg), catechins (374 mg). Cranberry berries also contain bioactive compounds of tannins, esters and antioxidants that perform protective functions (reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, thrombosis, atherosclerosis, male diseases; interfere with the development of pathogenic microflora in the body; cleanse internal organs and systems, as well as the skin, from inflammation).
The benefits of cranberries are its ability to act as an additional drug for a variety of ailments. These fruits have a complex effect: they do not favorably affect a particular diseased organ or system, but improve the functioning of the whole organism. Berries, as well as juices and infusions from cranberries, are recommended for physical, mental, emotional or mental exhaustion. It is an essential product in the diet of patients with cancer, cardiovascular diseases, suffering from problems with the circulatory and digestive systems.
Cranberries are useful for patients with pyelonephritis, because it has diuretic properties and, accordingly, protects the body from genitourinary infections and bacteria. Quercetin is a part of the plant’s fruits, a substance that is especially necessary for women, as it prevents the occurrence of malignant neoplasms in the mammary glands.
Important! According to medical scientific research, cranberries should become a daily food product for people who live in adverse environmental conditions, since it is very good at eliminating toxins.
Due to its sedative properties, this berry is recommended for use in stressful situations.. It is a natural antidepressant and not only helps to cope with stress, nervousness, depressive states and seasonal mental disorders, but is also considered a natural sleeping pill: eating fruits before bed helps to sleep.
It’s worth remembering that in some cases cranberries can be harmful.. Due to the fact that it is able to thin the blood, you can not use it together with drugs that reduce blood coagulation (warfarin, dabigatran).
It is also undesirable at the same time as cranberries to eat foods that contain a lot of oxalic acid - sorrel, tomatoes, spinach, parsley, and beets. If there are diseases of the stomach and intestines (gastritis, ulcer), the increased acidity of cranberry berries can harm these organs.
Important! Before introducing cranberries into your diet, be sure to consult your doctor.
Contraindications and side effects
Irrational and excessive consumption of cranberries is fraught with side effects, especially for people with contraindications.
Details are in the table:
|It is forbidden to use cranberry berries to people who have poor blood clotting.||Bleeding.|
|It is not recommended to use cranberries for those who suffer from urolithiasis or gout.||It is fraught with the formation of stones in the kidneys and gall bladder, which is explained by the high content of cranberries in acids, which provoke the release of oxalates (urine salts) from the body.|
|You can not eat cranberries during an exacerbation of diseases of the stomach and intestines (gastric ulcer and intestinal ulcers, gastritis, pancreatitis).||It is fraught with complication of the general condition and exacerbation of pain.|
|It is contraindicated to introduce cranberries into your diet with individual intolerance to its body.||May provoke an allergy.|
|It is strictly forbidden to give these berries to children under the age of 3 years. And after 3 years, cranberries are introduced into the child’s menu gradually.||It is fraught with allergic reactions in the form of a rash, itching, redness and irritation of the skin. Also, a child may have an individual intolerance to a product that you are not aware of.|
|These fruits are categorically contraindicated in hypotensive patients.||Berries can dramatically lower blood pressure.|
|You can’t eat fresh cranberries, drink juice or drinks from it before meals.||Such a product irritates the mucous membranes of the stomach, provokes excessive secretion of gastric juice.|
|Dentists do not recommend consuming these fruits or products containing them in patients who have tooth decay or problems with tooth enamel.||It is fraught with tooth decay.|
|Cranberries are strictly contraindicated in nursing mothers.||May provoke allergies in the child.|
Which cranberries are healthier / more harmful
There are several ways to store cranberries, in which the benefit / harm ratio for berries can vary. Let's consider them in more detail.
Did you know? Since the 1980s, cranberry juice began to be widely used in the film industry: it acted as a substitute for shelterand.
Fresh berry mass - of course, the most useful, because it has all the qualities listed above. However, the list of harm with contraindications also corresponds to all the points listed above.
As for the storage of fresh cranberries, this culture has a long shelf life: the fruits can retain freshness for several months. The main thing is to store them in a cool and well-ventilated area.
Did you know? Cranberries have the status of the official berries of the state of Massachusetts, USA. This status was granted to her in 1994.
Fully preserves the beneficial and nutritional properties of frozen cranberries. When frozen, its composition does not change, and the “benefit / harm” ratio is equal to the ratio in fresh berries. The main thing is to properly withstand the freezing procedure: thoroughly wash, dry the fruits, and, spreading a thin layer on a baking sheet, send it to the freezer. Such cranberries are known as “frozen benefits”.
Soaked cranberries are the same fresh, only placed in water to extend the shelf life. Over time, the berries will differ in water content, but they will not lose their beneficial (or harmful) properties.
Before soaking red fruits in water, they must be carefully sorted, cleaned of the stalks and placed in a container where it will be stored. Then pour clean water so that it completely covers it. You can add a little sugar to the water (1-2 tablespoons / 1 liter of water).
Important! To maximize the shelf life of cranberries in water, you must place it in a wooden barrel. In a wooden container, berries can be stored even for a whole year. Moreover, all their properties are also preserved.
Grated with sugar
Cranberries can serve as a great dessert.
You just grate it with sugar in the same proportions, for example:
- place in a blender and grind 2 liters of fruit + 2 liters of granulated sugar;
- put the resulting mixture into jars and send for storage in the refrigerator.
Cranberry use by women
Cranberry berries are widely used in medicine, they are especially useful for women's health.
To get rid of the symptoms of cystitis, you can eat both fresh and frozen cranberry fruits. But it is not recommended to buy store juice, as it may be devoid of nutrients. The effectiveness of the treatment of cranberry cystitis lies in the fact that it has anti-inflammatory functions, is able to destroy pathogenic viruses and bacteria, and the vitamins contained in the berry contribute to increased immunity.
To eliminate the disease, you should prepare a cranberry drink, for which you will need:
- 0.5 kg of cranberry fruits;
- 2 liters of cooled boiled water;
- 1 tbsp. Sahara;
Using a juicer, squeeze the juice from the red fruits and dilute it with water and sugar. Boil the resulting mixture for 1 minute and let cool. If you use 1 liter of healing drink per day, cystitis will recede after 2-3 days.
Important! Do not let the drink boil longer, so as not to deprive it of its beneficial qualities.
For problems with blood pressure
Cranberries can lower blood pressure, which is especially important for women during menopause, when sudden jumps in pressure cause considerable harm to the health of expectant mothers.
In order to overcome the increase in blood pressure, it is worth preparing a healing drink using cranberry juicesqueezed out of 2 glasses of berries. Dilute the resulting juice with a glass of water and 0.5 cups of sugar and bring to a boil.
However, drinking such a concentrated drink undiluted is not recommended: 2-3 teaspoons of the drink are diluted in a glass of water. It turns fragrant and healthy tea.
The fructose contained in cranberries makes it a real, and most importantly, allowed treat for diabetics. The most popular and affordable product for patients with diabetes is fresh juice from berries, which must be drunk regularly to get the expected effect. The course is 3 months, the one-day rate is 250 ml;
Did you know? Americans and Canadians grow large-fruited varieties of this culture, whose berries do not drown in the water due to the fact that they have small chambers with air. Such cranberries are harvested in a rather original way: before harvesting, plantations are flooded and, having waited until the fruits emerge, they are harvested by special machines.
Cranberry kvass, which is prepared according to the following recipe, will be equally tasty and effective.
- Grind 1 kg of medicinal fruits. You can, in the old fashioned way, in a colander or strainer, or you can simplify your task and send the berries to a blender.
- Squeeze juice from the resulting mass, add 4–5 l of water to it and boil for 20 minutes.
- Strain the brewed drink.
- Then add 0.5 kg of sweetener to the filtered liquid, mix thoroughly and boil again for 5 minutes.
- Add to the slightly cooled drink 25 g of yeast, which were previously dissolved in warm water and mix well.
- Pour the drink into separate containers (it is best to use glass jars) and send to a cool, dark room. After 3 days, a tasty and healing drink can be drunk.
For female diseases
Cranberries have long been treated by women during the period of female diseases. And in our time, the berry is used in gynecology to eliminate inflammation of a gynecological nature, and also helps to overcome postpartum disorders in the body painlessly and without risk to health
In order to relieve menstrual pain, you need to drink 1 cup of fresh juice from the fruits of the culture. But it is recommended to dilute it with water, since the juice itself is very acidic.After a few minutes, the pain will subside, which is explained by the presence of special enzymes in the composition of red berries that prevent blood clots, so that the blood will not aggravate the lower abdomen.
Important! Ripe cranberries in an amount of 100 g per day will eliminate the symptoms of vitamin deficiency, relieve bouts of depression, and reduce the sensitivity of the female body to pathogens.
For therapeutic purposes, folk healers recommend drinking cranberry juice: mix 250 g of berries and 250 g of sugar with 1 liter of water and boil for 10 minutes. Take fruit drinks in a glass before meals until the painful symptoms disappear.
Cranberries not only have a good effect on the functioning of internal organs and systems, but also have an excellent effect on the condition of the skin, hair and nails, therefore often used for cosmetic purposes:
- Helps overcome the problem of oily skin. To do this, it is worth preparing the mask by mixing 2 teaspoons of the fruit of the culture, protein 1 egg, 1 teaspoon. lemon juice and wheat flour (1 pinch). Beat the mixture until it turns into a homogeneous, sour cream-like consistency. The procedure for applying the mask is carried out 1 time per week. Before applying, thoroughly cleanse the skin. The mask should be on the face for 10-15 minutes, then it must be washed off with cold water.
- For women who have experienced dry skin, you can prepare a mask with 2 teaspoons of fruit, 1 teaspoon of sour cream and 1 egg yolk. Hold the mask on the face for 10 minutes, and then rinse with warm water. Repeat 1 time in 7 days.
- If the hair constantly looks dull, then it’s worth preparing a cranberry hair mask to give it shine and volume. The recipe is quite simple: mix 3 tbsp. tablespoons cranberries with 2-3 pinch of chopped cockerel leaves and 1 tbsp. a spoonful of olive oil. Rub the prepared mixture into the scalp, actively massaging it and making sure that all the hair follicles are covered. The grated hair should be covered with a bag and kept for 30 minutes. Then rinse off using shampoo. Frequency - 2 times a week.
- Get rid of dandruff help tool of 3 tbsp. tablespoons cranberry juice and 2 tbsp. tablespoons of lemon juice. To this mixture you need to add olive oil, the proportion of which will be equal to the amount of the mixture. Warm the resulting product in a water bath and, while still warm, apply to the scalp. After 7 minutes, rinse with warm water and shampoo. This procedure is important to do 2-3 times a week.
- In order for the nails to become strong and elastic, you need to rub the nail plates with juice from cranberry berries and then do not wash your hands for 10-15 minutes. After the specified time, rinse the juice with warm water and apply a hand cream on the skin.
Important! For the preparation of cosmetics, you can use both fresh and frozen cranberries.
For raising immunity, with vitamin deficiency
Cranberry fruits - a rich storehouse of vitamins and minerals, therefore, their use helps to enhance immunity and eliminate vitamin deficiency.
A drink will help improve immunityprepared from 1 handful of cranberries and 0.5 l of water (you need to take hot). Pour the berries with water and leave for about 30 minutes. Drink the drink daily as tea. Improve the taste will help 1 teaspoon of honey.
And to increase immunity, and to eliminate vitamin deficiency, they also drink cranberry tea, for the preparation of which use 2 teaspoons of grated cranberries with sugar (proportions are the same). The mixture you just need to pour boiling water and drink.
Features of using cranberries for pregnant women
Cranberry berries perfectly affect the body of a pregnant woman, but they should be consumed only after agreement with the treating gynecologist. So, they have a good effect on the condition of teeth, blood vessels, the immune system, help relieve swelling, improve the functioning of the genitourinary system and placental circulation. That is, they help to eliminate the unwanted symptoms that accompany the expectant mother during pregnancy.
Pregnant women are recommended to consume fresh berries, 10-15 pieces daily.To fortify the body in winter, the fruits should be covered with sugar in a 1: 1 ratio, and then added to porridge or tea.
Important! It is forbidden to use cranberries in the last trimester of pregnancy, as well as during lactation, as the berries contain many acids that can harm the baby.
Cranberry Benefits for Women's Health after 50
Menstrual cycles are not the main test that women experience. Indeed, after about 50 a new bouquet “blooms”: menopause, and due to the hormonal imbalance with which it is accompanied, excessive weight also appears. The same cranberries will help to overcome the symptoms of menopause and get rid of excess weight.
Still no medicine has been invented for menopause, but there are methods to significantly alleviate the symptoms of this phenomenon. So, cranberry juice will help to combat increased sweating, high blood pressure jumps, hot flashes and even weight gain. It should be drunk on an empty stomach, mixing 3 teaspoons of juice with 1 glass of water.
For weight loss
These red berries are a natural cleanser of the body from toxins and toxins, have a positive effect on metabolic processes and thus normalize weight. For these purposes, it is worth eating about 10 berries daily.
Important! In any prescription medication, which includes cranberries and sugar, instead of sugar, it will be more beneficial to add honey (of course, if it is not allergic).
- drink 1 glass of cranberry drink daily (dilute 1 tablespoon of juice with 1 glass of water and add 1 teaspoon of honey);
- exclude heavy and fatty foods from your diet and balance nutrition;
- introduce sauerkraut into the diet.
As you can see, it is not necessary to use medication to treat and supply your body with vitamins: it will be more useful to turn to alternative sources of health, one of which is cranberries. This healing berry can easily eliminate the symptoms of many diseases.